Tuesday, December 30, 2008

christmas break and all that jazz.


I'm in Los Angeles until January 7. As usual, it's a ridiculously good time, but geez louise: I NEED A NAP. There's something extremely exhausting about this city. I think it might stem from the idea that Los Angeles is filled with endless possibilities. If you want to go to the beach, you go to the beach. If you want to go to the mountains, you go to the mountains. If you want to put on a zebra striped tube top, drink 8 dollar beers and watch a bad reggae band play bad reggae music, you go right ahead. Everything in the world is approximately 3 freeways and 35 minutes away.

I have to admit that I miss living in a place with such limitless potential. I think that having that much accessibility is pretty inspiring. When I'm here, I feel like I can do anything, and by extension, BE anything. But on the flip side (and you know how I love flip sides), being here also reminds me of how tired I was when I lived in L.A. I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere. One of my favorite places to nap used to be in drive-through car washes. I loved the way the water blurred the windows on my car and made it literally impossible to see. I liked how the noise drowned out everything else. I paid a buck fifty every week for at least two years to run my car through a crappy car wash. Those 5 minute naps were totally worth it.

The focus of this city is always on what's going to happen next, and rarely on what's happening in the moment. And something I've realized in the past few years is that I'm pretty fond of moments.

--buelsy (catching some zzz's)

No comments: